25 Direct Marketing Statistics for 2020
Once again, we pulled together a compilation of direct marketing statistics that demonstrate the power of direct mail and its critical role in the omnichannel marketing strategy.
February 12, 2020
- On average, Americans receive 605 emails and 16.8 pieces of mail every week.
- For roughly every 36 emails you receive on average, you get 1 piece of mail in your mailbox.
- The average lifespan of an email is 17 seconds, compared to direct mail’s average lifespan of 17 days.
- 73% of American consumers say they prefer being contacted by brands via direct mail because they can read it whenever they want.
- 58% of the mail American households receive is marketing mail.
- 59% of US respondents say they enjoy getting mail from brands about new products.
- 60% of catalog recipients visit the website of the company that mailed them the catalog.
- Up to 90% of direct mail gets opened, compared to only 20-30% of emails.
- Prospects are 15% more likely to respond to an oversized mail piece if they have never done business with you.
- Per USPS, 98% of people check their mail daily and Americans spend upwards of 30 minutes with their mail on a single occasion.
- 68% of marketing respondents said combining digital and direct mail increased website visits.
- 60% of marketing respondents said combining digital and direct mail increased ROI.
The Bottom Line – Direct mail has a strong presence. It gets noticed, and allows for greater control by the recipient. This, in turn, makes it an effective way of reaching a large group of people.
Informed Delivery Statistics:
- 89% of users are satisfied or very satisfied with Informed Delivery.
- 93% of users would recommend Informed Delivery to friends, family, or colleagues.
- 61% of users view their notifications on mobile devices, 30% view on a computer or laptop, and 8% view on a tablet.
- 82% of users view their notifications in the morning, 16% view in the afternoon, and 2% view in the evening.
- 39% of marketing respondents reported an increase in website traffic.
- 36% of marketing respondents reported an increase in ROI.
The Bottom Line – Informed Delivery provides an additional touchpoint that is valuable for your direct marketing campaigns.
When digital and direct mail are combined, marketers see:
- 40% conversion rates.
- 68% increased website visits.
- 63% increased response rates.
- 60% increased ROI.
- 53% increased leads.
- 39% increased traffic to a physical store or business location.
- 11% increased downloads.
The Bottom Line – Direct mail should not be used in asilo. Combining direct mail and digital marketing creates synergies thatenhance overall results and response.
[REMINDER] Direct Mail Response Rates
- Direct mail response rate to house files is 9% (compared to 1% email, 1% paid search, .3% online display, 1% social media).
- Direct mail median return oninvestment to house files is 41% (compared to 145% email, 50% paid search, 20%online display, 50% social media).
Check back for more!
We will update this post when new stats are available for 2020. Leave your email and we will notify you when it is published.
- This is a compilation of statistics we have collected from other sources. Please contact the original source with any inquiries regarding the statistics.
1: Genius and USPS
4, 6: Epsilon
5, 7, 10: USPS
8: DMA, now part of ANA
11-12, 19-25: USPS Future of Direct Mail
13-18: Informed Delivery Overview, Winter 2019
Reminder: ANA | DMA Response Rate Report, 2018